Colossians 4:3–6 (ESV)
3 At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison— 4that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak. 5 Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. 6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
This passage has always amazed me; but after studying it this week, I am completely blown away. Just think about Paul’s context. Think about all we’ve studied. Think about all he’s said. For the past 17 weeks, we’ve been learning from a man who was imprisoned, while being quarantined for 11 of those weeks ourselves. And now this week, we are going to see Paul’s true calling and passion on full display. The fact that he isn’t feeling hindered motivates and convicts me. If you’re not sure what Paul’s passion is, feel free to take a look at the text again. Do you see it? Paul’s passion was for the mission of the gospel to go forward, regardless of his personal circumstance.
Now, consider it, Mission Church. How does it make you feel to know that Paul was sold out for the mission which we are named after. I, for one, can’t wait to dig into this text with you. And as has been the case every week, the Lord is going to give us some very precious and immediately applicable instructions to help us navigate some of the unique cultural pressures we’ve been processing this week. We are going to see how having a Christ-centered passion is the answer to many of the challenges that face us today.
Here are the songs we’ll be singing to help you prepare for worship.
Love you, Church!
9:00 AM – Worship Service Online
10:15 AM – Meet in Small Groups on Zoom
10:15 AM – Guest Connection
10:15 AM – Student Prayer (Grades 6-12) on Zoom
Everything you need for Sunday is available on the Mission Church App under Sunday Resources or on our website.
- Mission Church App – mission-church.com/app
- Mission Church Website – mission-church.com/sundayresources
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
- Paul’s life was centered on spreading the Gospel. What adjustments could you make that would help you to grow and improve in this area of your life?
- In your own words, what is the mystery of Christ?
- Read 1 Corinthians 10:32-33. What ideas does this verse give you to help you know how to “walk in wisdom?”
- Take some time to pray for each other for God to open doors of Gospel opportunity and that we would make the most of those opportunities.